Since being back from our Europe trip I've realized the solace of one's home is often forsaken. We seldom take the time to appreciate the commonplace of our lives, the comfort, security the simplicity that comes along. Instead I often find myself dreaming of traveling to a far away land and touching foot in every corner of this world. I dream of colors, sounds, smells; I imagine the people, their faces, their clothes, their language. Yet at the end of the day, I realize all my heart truly wants is some sense of peace with a little ice cream on the side.
I bought these organic strawberries last Friday and then left town for the weekend, completely forgot about them and come around Tuesday they were not at their best. What to do with these slightly wilted beauties? They only have a few wrinkles after all. I could've easily tossed them in the trash but I managed to salvage the little life they had left and transformed it into something blissful. The best way to salvage old fruit? Roast them
Roast them with a little cinnamon and sugar or I tossed mine in some Balsamic Vinegar that we bought from Italy. The sugar, vinegar and juices from the berries caramelize into a luxurious fruity and tangy reduction -- perfect over some rich and creamy creme fraiche ice cream.
ROASTED STRAWBERRIES WITH CREME FRAICHE ICE CREAM
- 2 pint baskets strawberries, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
- Rinse the strawberries in cool water, place in a strainer or colander, and shake off most of the water. Slice the strawberries in half, place them in a large bowl, and sprinkle them with the sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Toss the strawberries with the balsamic vinegar, and put the strawberries and all of their juices into a large saute pan or a large ovenproof dish. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, until the juices are bubbling and the strawberries are hot but not mushy. Divide among individual dishes and serve with a scoop of Creme Fraiche Ice Cream (1/2 cup per serving). Serve immediately.
Store leftover roasted strawberries in a glass tupperware container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 6 months and defrost when ready to use. Also great as a tart filling, on toast or pancakes or with yogurt in the mornings!