I love making a big batch of shrimp ceviche because it's so refreshingly addicting. It's great for parties or football Sundays, stores well in the fridge and you can make it ahead of time. Use leftovers on top of a tostada with some fresh greens or in between tortillas as shrimp tacos.
adapted from Epicurious
makes 3 cups ceviche
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pound of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 spoonful of Tabasco
- 1 spoonful EVOO
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Several lime slices for garnish
- Tostadas or tortilla chips, store-bought or homemade or saltine crackers for serving
Boil 1 quart salted water to boil. Place shrimp and bring water back to boil. Immediately remove from heat and strain. Place shrimp in large bowl and toss with 1/2 lime juice.
Meanwhile prep your toppings as your shrimp marinates.
Add onions, cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, EVOO, mango and avocado. Taste with salt and pepper. Place in a glass tupperware container. Cover and refrigerate.
This is a great dish to serve at a party! You can either serve ceviche in small glass cups or martini glasses for an extra touch of elegance. Layer with salsa and shrimp and garnish with cilantro, shrimp or lime wedge and serve with tortilla chips.
Because the shrimp is marinated in lime juice, ceviche can be kept in the fridge for at up to 2-3 days. However, it does not freeze very well so eat ASAP!