I'm not much of a ground meat person so I've tried looking for alternatives. If I knew fish patties were always this moist and flavorful I would've switched over a long time ago. These salmon burgers are a sure hit -- you can even make extra salmon patties and keep them frozen in the freezer until ready for use.
- 1 pound skinless center-cut salmon fillet, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce (3 crabs brand)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or panko
- 3 hamburger buns, toasted
- Lettuce, onion, tomato, sliced for burgers
In a food processor, pulse the chopped salmon about 10 times, or until minced. Scrape the salmon into a bowl. Mix the egg with the fish sauce, tabasco, garlic, shallot, ginger, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, 1 tablespoon of the mint, ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Add the mixture to the salmon along with 1 cup of bread crumbs. Fold the salmon mixture together with a rubber spatula. With lightly oiled hands, pat the mixture into 4 burgers.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add salmon burgers to skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until well browned but barely cooked in the center, about 7 minutes.
Dress burger as desired and serve with a generous dollop of avocado aioli.
- 2 Hass avocados
- ⅓ cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 seeded serrano chile or unseeded jalapeño, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium bowl or glass tupperware container, coarsely mash the avocados with a fork. Fold in the yogurt, basil, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, chile and shallot. Season with salt and pepper and serve
Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Use extras for a tasty sandwich spread or dip!
Store any leftover patties in the freezer in a large storage bag. Frozen patties can be kept for up to 5 months. Leftover patties can be broken up and thrown on a salad!