There's a few things I've learned since we started gardening
1. North Texas gardening is a battlefield. You get unpredictable hail, crazy temperature fluctuations and big black rabbits named Layla stomping all over your veggie patch.
2. Gardening takes a lot of work, patience and discipline. Thank god for Collin or else our garden would only be growing rocks (But I'm a good seed starter!).
3. Anything that grows in your own garden is 100 times tastier than anything you'll ever buy at the store. Because your own blood, sweat and tears will always taste better than anyone else's!
Butter Lettuce has this sensuous unctuous texture to it. This salad is paired with the two shining stars of Spring: snow peas and carrots mixed with a spicy vinaigrette and roasted peanuts.
These light meals are all you need on a hot, summer day.
BUTTER LETTUCE WITH SPRING VEGETABLES
Recipe for the salad:
- Butterhead lettuce, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup jicama, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup snow peas, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled and small diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup toasted peanuts
- Black Cyprus Sea Salt or Maldon Sea Salt
- Habanero Lime Dressing (see recipe above)
Heat a small pot of water over high heat. Once water is boiling, place carrots in and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and immediately place in ice water bath. Drain and place in a small bowl with garlic, chili flakes, honey, olive oil and pinch of salt. Mix well and set aside.
Place washed butterhead leaves in a bowl and dress with Habanero Lime Vinaigrette making sure leaves are evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and place it on a plate. Top with jicama slices, snow peas, avocado and carrot mixture and finish with toasted peanuts and black cyprus sea salt to finish. Serve immediately.
You can make a little extra of this dressing and it can keep for up to a week in a small, covered, glass jar.
HABANERO LIME VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS:
(serves 1-2, yields about 1/8 c dressing)
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 2 tablespoons evoo
- spoonful of (Habanero) Pepper Jam
- pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Place ingredients in a small bowl, whisk together thoroughly and set aside until ready to use.