Everyone needs a little bacon every now and then. When buying bacon, make sure you avoid ones preserved in sodium nitrate. Because bacon is a processed meat, it's best to not eat it too often. But when you do, make sure you savor every bite.
BLA SANDWICH WITH SPICY MAYO
(makes 4 sandwiches)
- 8 slices Ezekiel bread
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, or 2 cups of fresh greens
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 lemon slice, squeezed
- pinch of ghost chile salt or tsp sriracha
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line large baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup. Line bacon slices on baking sheet and place in oven for 15-17 minutes depending on the thickness of your bacon. Taste test is required -- take it out when bacon is golden and mostly crispy. Set on plate lined with paper towels to soak up any remaining oils. Set aside.
- Lightly butter sourdough slices and toast. Slice pieces of sourdough in half and set aside.
- Meanwhile clean and chop lettuce and slice avocados and place into separate bowls.
- In a small bowl mix mayo with ghost chile salt and lemon juice. Taste and add more spice if needed.
- You may warm up the bacon before serving if preferred. Arrange all ingredients to your liking and invite your guests to dig in. Don't forget the toothpicks!