VIETNAMESE SHRIMP SPRING ROLLS
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli (60 mL)
- 8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
- 8 large cooked shrimp - peeled, deveined and cut in half
- 1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil (20 mL)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves (45 mL)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (45 mL)
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
Soak vermicelli in cold water until soft. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook vermicelli for 2-3 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for a second and lay the wrapper on a flat surface. Across the center, place 3 shrimp halves down and top with vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce – leaving about 2 inches on each side. Fold the uncovered sides inward and roll the wrapper tightly. Serve with Spicy Peanut Sauce.
SPICY PEANUT SAUCE
- ½ cup peanut butter (120 mL)
- 2 tablespoons water (30 mL)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (5 mL)
- Handful of peanuts, crushed
Mix peanut butter and water together until thoroughly mixed. Add more water (1 teaspoon at a time) if the consistency is too thick. Stir in hoisin and Sriracha and top with crushed peanuts. Serve with spring rolls.
Leftover spring rolls can be wrapped in saran wrap and kept in the fridge for a couple days. They are however best eaten the day of. It's a great dish to make for parties!